Thursday, April 8, 2010

40 Days of Painting: Captain

About 2 weeks ago, I posted pictures of a WIP Captain.  I figured now with only 2 days left in the original contest, I should get around to posting pictures of him.  It's shameful.  I know.

For the pictures this time, I set up 2 lamps and a white sheet of paper.  I might need a 3rd lamp or I may just break down and buy a picture box.  I don't know.  I can't seem to get these pictures looking as crisp as other folks have them!

As always, my Crimson Fists are a very simple paint scheme.  I take a bit more time and add a bit more highlights on my HQs and models I really like...but for the most part, it's drybrush Mordian Blue, a lighter drybrush of Ultramarine blue and then details and washes.  

I tried to get the power sword to look like the charges were flowing across it in motion (he's swinging the blade across his chest).  It looks good in person, but this is the only shot I got of it that looks decent.  I think my macro settings wash out the details.

I really enjoyed painting this guy and I can tell I've made leaps since my very first Captains of days past.  Although, looking at those old posts, I feel like my picture taking has gotten worse!  Coincidence?  Maybe I'm taking more time painting and less time taking pictures.  Yeah.  Or the lighting in here is awful!

40 Days of Painting Status Update:   
Less than 2 days left...31  points complete.  9 tacticals in two days.  I don't know if I can do it.  But I did paint up TLHB and TLLCs for make my rhinos Razorbacks.  That counts for something, right?  Right?  

No comments: