Tuesday, March 2, 2010

40 Days of Painting: Random Thoughts

So without realizing it, the minis I pulled off the shelf for this contest could totally amount to a modest 1030 point army!

HQ (300 Points)
Captain with Jump Pack, Power Sword, Meltabomb
Captain with Terminator Armor and ChainFist

Elite (155 points)
6 Sternguard, 1 Combi-Melta

Troops (465 points)
10 Tacticals, Powerfist, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Rhino
10 Tacticals, Plasma Pistol, Plasma Gun, Heavy Bolter, Rhino

Fast Attack (110 Points)
5 Assault Marines with Jump Pack, Flamer

It isn't the worst list in the world for a 1000 point game.  A solid Troop core with an ability to tackle various unit types (Plasma on the MEQs, HB on swarms...Power Fist for Dreads) loaded in Rhinos and supported by 2 ICs and a Jump squad.  I guess I'd march that Terminator Captain around the board as he'll be the slowest model out there...or use him as a counter-assaulter to support a HB or ML combat squad.

The Jump Pack Captain will support the Jump Pack marines and break up small enemy units or last-turn objective contest.  I feel like the list is a bit naked without some sort of tank, like the cheap predator...but I wouldn't be adverse to playing with this list.

Might even be fun in a Planetstrike game as the defenders!

How do you decide what you're going to paint?  Is it what tickles your fancy?  Is it that neat conversion that you just have to paint?  Or do you paint in blocks of required units?  I usually paint in blocks of units I want to try out.  This time around I just grabbed what I had assembled just to finally get them done.  We'll see how that works out for me.  I have a lot of other minis I should "just get done..." many of which you've seen right here on this blog (Dark Angels, Tau, etc!).

What do you have on your shelf that you just need to get done but you haven't been inspired to pull down and paint?

40 Days of Painting Status Update:   
39 days left...all models are now primed and ready for base work.

4 comments:

Tristan M said...

I would ditch that tac sgt power fist if you can. Fairly useless.

I paint either by blocks (get a squad painted), individuals for a break (like my warhammer quest characters - also see Weekly Minis, and now I've started planning "must finish projects"

Mordian7th said...

Nice - I'm in almost exactly the same boat, pulled the Crimson Fists off the shelf and got cracking on getting them painted. Usually I just paint whatever tickles my fancy, but in this case they've been gathering dust for far too long and I felt it was time to bite the bullet. When it comes time to 'crank out the models' I tend to go with the assembly-line method, lay all the miniatures out and just go through them all one color at a time. It's somewhat boring, but I have to admit it does get them finished up in record time.

Can't wait to see your Fists as they progress!

Cawshis Clay said...

@Tristan
No PF on Crimson Fists Sgts? That sounds heretical! I've come to love the Power Fist...especially against my many opponents that opt for transports and heavy armor. Why do you they are useless?

@Mordian 7th
Thanks! I've never been able to manage more than 10 models in assembly line work before...just cause it's so boring going BLUE BLUE BLUE RED RED RED for ages. Plus if I get lazy, then I wind up with a lot of units that look my Sternguard...partially finished! So now I assembly line Units. First up: Assault Squad as they are smaller and easy to get done!

Tristan M said...

OK, yes my bad - for Crimson Fists you have to give him a power fist for sheer cool looking factor.

But (only for tacticals mind you, maybe sternguard) for 5 points i can take melta bombs to take out vehicles - and if they are stuck in CC with units it's better to lose, fall back & shoot.